Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Born into Brothels

Last night I went to a screening of Born into Brothels put on by UNICEF, UNRIC and the European Commission to raise awareness of children's rights. The 20th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child is coming up so they decided to show this movie and then talk about children's rights after the movie. I'd always wanted to see the movie and I figured since the event was going to be in English with a room full of English speaking people, I should go. So glad I did. Synopsis: a photographer gives a handful of cameras to kids from the brothels and tells them to take pictures of their daily lives and the story unfolds from there. It's an unbelievably powerful movie - tough to watch at times, but so eye-opening. Check out the site to learn more: http://kids-with-cameras.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment